Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA) is India's premier management institute and consistently ranked as India’s top business school. In 2010, it ranked 8th in The Financial Times global B-School rankings, the first Indian institution to be featured in the list.
It all started with Dr Vikram Sarabhai and a few spirited industrialists recognizing that agriculture, education, health, transportation, population control, energy and public administration were vital elements in a growing society, and that it was necessary to manage these industries efficiently. The result was the creation of the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad in 1969 as an autonomous body with the active collaboration of the Government of India, Government of Gujarat and the industrial sectors.
From the very start the founders introduced the concept of faculty governance: all members of the faculty play an important role in administering the diverse academic and non-academic activities of the institute. The empowerment of the faculty has been the propelling force behind the high quality of learning experience at IIMA. The institute also had an early collaboration with Harvard Business School. This collaboration greatly influenced its approach to education, which is today a confluence of the best of eastern and western values.
IIMA's mission is to produce risk-taking managers who will pioneer new managerial practices and set new standards; create teachers and researchers who will generate new ideas; and consult organizations in various aspects. IIMA graduates consistently receive the highest paying starting salaries and include some of the most dynamic and successful business leaders in the country. Some of these are
IIMA official website
- CK Prahalad - Noted management consultant and author
- Raghuram Rajan - Chief Economist of the IMF (2003–2007), current Eric J. Gleacher Distinguished Service Professor of Finance, University of Chicago Booth School of Business
- KV Kamath - Chairman, ICICI Bank
- Sanjeev Bikhchandani - Founder/CEO, Naukri.com
- Jerry Rao – CEO, Mphasis
- Prakash M. Telang - MD, Tata Motors
- Shantanu Mukherji - Country Head, LVMH
- Sarthak Behuria - Chairman, Indian Oil Corporation
- Murali Sivaraman - CEO, Philips India
- Kishor Chaukar - MD, Tata Industries
- Shikha Sharma - MD, Axis Bank
- Falguni Nayar - MD Kotak Mahindra Capital
- Gunit Chadha - MD & CEO, Deutsche Bank India
- Arun Nanda - Chairman & MD, Rediffusion
A letter from the director